Monday

Pendragon projects

The Pendragon Photo Album
I had this long beautiful list of amazing things that I would do when I finished my thesis, and finally that beast has been slain. Two hundred pages stuffed in a hard bound blue book with gold engraved lettering and now I am free to pursue other things. The most important of which is getting the Pendragon photo album up and running. Here we go...
Leslie started this long ago and I thought I'd add a bit and make sure it didn't get lost. In addition we did nearly all of this work as dockside carpentry/rigging being young and poor. I'd never do that again, it makes for slow work
below:the day before our wedding on Zodiac during the ever present saftey speach)



The Conversion
Leslie and I sailed the boat around Vancouver Island as our first non-tallship adventure together, and while doing that decided that the mizzen was WAY more trouble than it was worth, but I resisted removing it because I was dumb and didn't listen to my wife to be. The dream the Leslie mentions below made me go and look at deck layout pics of the Cornish Crabber Pilot Cutter and low and behold the mast is stepped in the same place...
In a dream that Ben had, I said to him "I am so glad we decided to get rid of the mizzen mast and change the rig to the cutter". As Freud once said, your dreams are filled with your subliminal desires. I am not usually a Freudian, but in this case, 2 years later, we have a cutter rig on Pendragon. Although we have not yet sailed her, we are so pleased with the 5 feet of deck we feel she has gained. Here is a picture of making the new main boom

Having now sailed the new rig we can't believe the difference. She very nearly doesn't need us there to steer, and she's way more weatherly

Conversion Continued
Ben rigged the new main boom and Dylan made a few strops for the blocks. Also shown in the first picture is the new gaff, which Ben scarfed (joining two pieces of wood) together from the old mizzen boom and main gaff (love to recycle)...

Splicing fair leads for the main sheet or reef lines, I've forgotten.


Splicing seine twine for seizings.


Dylans handywork, and yes we were aiming for quick and dirty.


When we built the gaff, we purposely made it too long as we were unsure how the mainsail would fit (pix of the mainsail to come) Here are photos of Ben cutting off the excess length of the gaff in situ and then of the finished spar (again- we're so proud).






There's the gaff.

1 comment:

  1. I realized after the fact that these post aren't in chronological order. I'll shoot for that in the next posts.

    ReplyDelete